Working with NRHM
The National Rural Health Mission is one of the most significant and innovative national programmes which focuses on comprehensive primary health care and the strengthening of public health systems with a major focus on communitisation and evolved through a process of engagement and dialogue with civil society. CPHE is involved actively with the National Rural Health Mission at various levels.
- Dr. Thelma Narayan is a member of the 3rd Common Review Mission which begins in November 2009. She will be part of the CRM team for Madhya Pradesh.
- As a member of the Common Review Mission in November 2007 Dr. Thelma Narayan visited Bihar and contributed to the Bihar state report.
- Dr. Thelma Narayan is a member of the Advisory Group on Community Action (AGCA) and the Technical Advisory Group on Community Monitoring which also includes Dr. Rakhal Gaitonde, a CHC Tamil Nadu team member.
- The NRHM has institutionalized Community Monitoring as a system innovation. CHC team members in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu are active lead members of state teams that are operationalising this concept at state level. Dr Thelma Narayan is also a member of the State Mentoring Group in Karnataka.
- Dr. Thelma Narayan is a member of the National ASHA Mentoring Group and has been attending meetings in which the group has worked on the content and direction of ASHA training. She is responsible to support Madhya Pradesh.
- Dr. Ravi Narayan has been a member of the Medical Education Task Force and edited the task force report which features many innovations inspired by civil society experiments including SOCHARA.
- Dr. Thelma Narayan and Dr. Ravi Narayan were members of the Task Force on Indian Public Health Standards.
- Dr. Thelma Narayan participated in the Task Force on Goals of NRHM which evolved a series of goals including Comprehensive Primary Health Care which were enumerated in the NRHM Mission Document.
Working with NHSRC
Dr Thelma Narayan is a founding Governing Body member of the National Health Systems Resource Centre (NHSRC) which has been set up to support the NRHM state level missions to strengthen their health systems and human resources.